(Photo : some of the volunteers involved in the Great British High Street awards application and is not the current 21st Century Thame steering group)
Who are 21st Century Thame?
The story of 21st Century Thame begins in 2003. Following a Market Town Health Check, a town-wide partnership was established, driven by a committed group of local volunteers (some representing local organisations), together with representatives of the Town and District Councils. The group was motivated by a passion to ensure that Thame prospered and remained viable as a social, cultural and economic centre – at a time when many high streets were struggling and starting to see footfall diminishing. From these beginnings, after moving through various formative stages, 21st Century Thame was born. 21st Century Thame has continued to thrive, working hard to communicate their vision to the whole community, engaging others who were also passionate about implementing this vision. As a result of all their hard work, they have been instrumental in developing and implementing projects and ideas that have helped to continue to achieve their vision, year on year.
21st Century Thame’s vision is:
“To enhance the historic market town of Thame by protecting its past and promoting its future as a vibrant and flourishing centre serving the whole community”
Image courtesy of thame.net
In all of our work we seek to uphold the following values:
- Openness & sharing: sharing best practice, learning and experience with individuals/groups taking action towards our vision – even if outside the direct work of 21st Century Thame.
- Creativity & Initiative: being willing to explore new ideas and take the initiative to solve a problem, not wait for someone else to do it.
- Community involvement: to openly welcome any members of the community who are keen to play a role in helping us meet our vision.
- Partnership & Collaboration: Being willing to work in partnership with other organisations, and take a back seat in situations where another group is more suited to lead.
- Stewardship: A commitment to a prudent use of the human and financial resources entrusted to us by our community.
- Sustainability: To ensure that any action taken by 21stCT supports the sustainability of the natural environment
- To increase the social vibrancy of our town
- To support the economic vitality of the town
- To conserve and promote the towns heritage
- To protect and enhance the towns natural environment
- Providing infrastructure needed (e.g. access to a bank account, insurance, equipment, good practice guideliness) to support new initiatives brought to the attention of 21st Century Thame.
How do we achieve our vision?
21st Century Thame works to attract and invest resources; provides a platform for partnerships and initiatives; and lobbying for change when we’re unable to effect change. To meet our aims, our work falls into 4 main themes:
- Working with the Community
- Working with Businesses
- Celebrating Thame’s Heritage
- Working for the Environment